CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Memories

I tend to remember the weirdest things. I can remember the essay I wrote on the French Revolution during my AP European final in high school. I can remember the passages from Romeo and Juliet that I memorized for 9th grade English. I even remember people from my college Calculus class, of 500, that I didn't even sit by. Most recently I recognized a boy I had babysat as a teenager. The strange thing was that I hadn't seen him since I moved away from home, he was only four or five. WEIRD!

This memory has gotten me in trouble a few times. Like the time I ran into a boy from high school who acted as if he had never seen me before in his life. (Poor Reggie, he was more embarrassed than I was). Too bad, since I remembered specific memories about the two dates we had been on as well as the time we spent as class officers together.

The weirdest part of all about my memory is that I can't remember details about a phone conversation I had one hour ago or where I happened to drop my keys when I got back from the new Walmart on Saturday night.

Perhaps I am experiencing early onset Alzheimer's. (Last year I could have sworn I was having early onset menopause). Wouldn't it be great to have our 18 year old bodies and 22 year old minds back?

Anyway, last month when I was perusing the internet for ideas to magnify my new calling as visiting teaching supervisor, I came across this clever visiting teaching blog with great ideas. It had a fabulous idea for assembling a scripture "treasure box" to help your sisters with their scripture study. I immediately began compiling the ingredients. I filled my treasure boxes with scripture marking pencils, scripture mastery cards, laminated "key" words to use in a scripture mastery game, and a list of ideas on how to mark your scriptures.

I must confess that the real reason I wanted the scripture treasure box was for my own selfish desires. I remembered a talk I had heard while a student at BYU that said if you memorize a scripture a day eventually you will develop a photographic memory. I did a little research and found that it was Elder Vaughn J. Featherstone that had made that claim. Unfortunately, it takes two years of diligence for it to pay off.

So I have decided to experiment upon his words. Only I am aiming for one scripture a week and if that doesn't work I will make it one scripture a month. I'll let you know how it goes!



2 comments:

Sherrie said...

I'm so glad your blogging again, I love reading your posts, you really do have a talent for writing! Did you check the trash can for those keys? Just today I heard my phone ringing from the trash can and luckily I was able to retrive it before Reg took out the trash! Too bad the keys don't have a ringer.

Shenise said...

I like it A LOT!