CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cookie Skillet




Back in the day when I kept a log on the back of my dorm room door that kept track of how often I made it to the gym, I had a deal with myself. If I worked out five days a week for one month then I could treat myself to a Tony Roma's Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet. It's amazing to think that I was that in control of my eating habits. Today, I would probably award myself with a cookie skillet for just about everything. (That's probably why I have gained and lost 500 pounds during my child-bearing years).

Anyhow, I loved those things. In fact, they were the only thing I could order on the menu. (Many of you may remember my vegetarian, animal rights, "meat is murder" days?)

Tony Roma's discontinued their star menu item a few years later. Maybe that is why they have met their demise and they should consider a cookie skillet comeback. I, however, don't have the patience necessary to await a Tony Roma revival so I sought out a recipe on my own. It is one I saw in a Martha Stewart magazine that prompted me to immediately travel to my local Walmart in search of a 10-inch skillet.

Since then I have found many a good desserts can be cooked in a cast iron skillet. So here, at the request of my good friend Bea, is three good ways to use a cast iron skillet.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet, ala Martha Stewart

Ingredients

Serves 8

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups (about 9 ounces) mixed milk- and semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 pints vanilla ice cream
  • Caramel Sauce

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; mix until they are fully incorporated. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  2. Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, and press to flatten, covering bottom of pan. Bake until edges are brown and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Don't overbake; it will continue to cook a few minutes out of the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges. Serve warm; top each wedge with a scoop of ice cream and some caramel sauce.


Tyler's Ultimate Peach Cobbler

Ingredients

  • 8 peaches, peeled and sliced, about 6 to 8 cups
  • 1/4 cup bourbon (I used 1 teaspoon vanilla)
  • 3/4 cup sugar, divided, plus more for dusting
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons for skillet
  • 2/3 cup Heavy cream, plus 2-3 T. more for brushing

Directions

Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl add the peaches, bourbon, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon and mix well to coat the peaches evenly; set aside.

Prepare the dumplings: Into food processor add the flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter into small pieces. Add it to the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture looks like wet sand. Mix just until the dough comes together. Don't overwork; the dough should be slightly sticky but manageable.

In a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add the peaches and cook gently until heated through, about 5 minutes. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls over the warm peaches. There can be gaps, the dough will puff up and spread out as it bakes. Brush the top with some heavy cream and sprinkle with some sugar; put it into the oven on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes until the top is browned and the fruit is bubbling.


Chocolate Brownie Spoon Bread

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter, plus more for skillet
  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 4 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup sugar
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch, well-seasoned cast iron skillet, set aside.
  2. Place chocolate and butter in a medium heat-proof bowl. Set over a pan of boiling water and whisk together until almost blended. Remove from heat and let cool. Set aside.
  3. Sift togetther the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Sift again and set aside.
  4. In another bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla until thick and pale, about 6 minutes. Beat in the sugar until fluffy. Stir in the chocolate mixture. Fold the dry ingredients gently until just combined.
  5. Pour the batter into prepared skillet. Bake until spoon bread is set but still soft in center, about 40 minutes. (cook less for a more molten center.) Let cool 10 minutes serve warm. Dust with confectioner's sugar to garnish, if desired.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

So happy to see and read all your updates! You have been one busy girl! I definitely need one of these skillets...I so remember ordering those with you! You have Martha hands down....do you think you could be my next visiting teacher and host the next shower for me? HOLY COW...Amazing, you never cease to amaze me, wasn't it you telling me I need to simplify, wow you are talented!!!

Sherrie said...

Yumm.....thanks Wendy!