CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Book Report





















It hasn't even been two weeks since Mitch turned in his October book report assignment, a pumpkin, painted in the likeness of Harry Potter. And yet, we have already started constructing a turkey out of paper. It features colorful feathers covered with little known facts about this month's exciting read, "The Cay", by Theodore Taylor. It was a book that I happened to recommend as one of my favorites from my day's at William Penn.

Mitchell's feedback was positive. He decided that it was one of the better books that I have encouraged him to read (I was under the impression that every book I've recommended was fabulous).

I am trying to instill a love of reading in each of my children. I don't know if it's really working. How can Ramona Quimby compete with Wii games and Spongebob. As for me, however, I have a terrible weakness for printed words on paper: Caldecott award winners, young adult novels, self-help books, coffee table books, cook books, etc. That weakness has manifested itself in the way I spoil my children. I rarely make it out of the Barnes and Noble children's section without a new addition to our (my) library and let's not even talk about book-orders from school.

There is nothing I love more than reading to my kids. I often daydream about having an overstuffed chaise lounge chair, placed strategically in front of my bedroom fireplace. A cozy little spot to lose myself in an imaginary world while cuddled up to Mitchell, Rylee, and Tess.
I have wanted a quiet place devoted to books ever since I read the biography of President Hinckley. He talked of a small library in his childhood home that put all of the classics at his disposal. I always admired his intelligence and love of literature.

In D&C 88:118 it says, "seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom". That scripture is always at the back of my mind when I'm choosing something to read. I want to expose my children to books that inspire them to be better people. (I myself often get sidetracked with books about things like polygamy and vampires--November 21st is almost here).

Over the past year, I have received a few requests from friends to share my favorite books on goodreads.com. I tried to be faithful about posting good books, but I gave up. Most of the books I read are juvenile in nature, so I decided to compile a list of out family's favorites. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Wendy - where to begin?
You are hilarious. Your kids look just like you. You can sew like a mad woman. Good memory on William Penn days, I can barely remember where the school is located. Oh, did I mention you're hilarious???

Natalie said...

Such a great idea...thanks for the good reads! The kiddos did such a great job at the recital, they didn't seem a bit nervous!

Sherrie said...

Wendy, your the best. I love all the books, by the way how did you do that it must of taken forever!

Shenise said...

I like "Holes" myself. That was a book I read with my students. Anyway, I've NEVER witnessed ANYONE with the ability to tune out to EVERYTHING in their surroundings while reading a book or especially a magazine. You are a bit of a nerd, but what a great thing to pass along to your children? Do you think you'll ever rub off on Reggie?