CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Konnichi wa







One of the highlights of this past summer was the arrival of Manami, our foreign exchange student from Japan. Most of you know how I grow strangely attached to pets. It is a trait that has plagued me time and time again (note: I will not accept any more animals from anyone, including the Easter Bunny). Anyhow, I found that hosting a darling girl from Japan to be even worse. Everyone in the family grew unusually connected in such a short time. It is amazing how someone can become part of your family in a mere 2 1/2 weeks.

Manami was a delight to have around. She bravely tolerated the probing questions of three small children as well as the vocabulary queries of a Japanese R.M. (Reggie served in the Sendai, Japan mission 14 years ago). We loved hearing about her "crazy" little sister back home and were impressed with her diligent study habits. I think she enjoyed her exposure to everything American. She seemed to like the food I fixed that represented all things deep-fried as well as my "famous" chocolate chip cookies. We even took her to the Harley Davidson store so she could purchase something "American" for her boyfriend's birthday.

We packed in as much excitement as possible in those two short weeks, visiting: "This is the Place" state park, Lagoon, Sundance, and several malls (her favorite). However, our favorite memories with Manami would have to be the quiet moments at home playing UNO and eating octopus crackers (we got her back with root beer and sour candy).

We made sure she was the last student loaded on the bus the morning she went home. Just a few more stolen moments for Tess to ask questions like, "Manami, that's the moon. Do you have a moon where you live?" As the bus pulled away, we tearfully counted the miles between here and Japan, hoping that our Japanese daughter decides to visit her American family soon!

6 comments:

Sherrie said...

Wendy, I loved your new post....I've been waiting and waiting for a new one. I want you to really take your advice to heart and SIMPLIFY.(Well for this week anyway) You really are quite the writer, maybe you can be a famous author someday when you grow up.

Jen and Lance said...

You didn't fool me! I know that's not real japanese writing! But it is super funny! Glad to see knew posts on your blog and I love the quote about moms who know do less.

Natalie said...

Wendy....this is hilarious.*(*(*&*&&_&*)(^ So good to see pictures of what was a big part of your summer!

Shanel said...

The funny part about this is...you spent so much time typing all about those 2 weeks in normal font and happened upon the jibberish one and thought you were sooooo clever! Oh the laughter you had with you, yourself & you! But I want to know what it really says

Shenise said...

I totally thought you had written in Japanese. Come to think of it, I never really looked that close to the letter characters, but I totally thought you had translated it into Japanese. You totally fooled me, but I enjoyed reading(in English) your fun experiences with the exchange student.

Sherrie said...

Funny story....I did enjoy the English translation!