CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Live and Learn

Our trip to the zoo during Spring Break

I love self-help books. I read somewhere that these type of books can be just as life-changing as psychotherapy for some people. We all need a little therapy from time to time (at least I do). Books tend to be a much more affordable option. Some of my favorites include What Happy People Know, by Dan Baker Ph.d, and A Joyful Mother of Children, by Linda J. Eyre. My latest favorite is Sheri Dew's new book called If Life were Easy, it wouldn't be Hard. It follows the example of our greatest "self-help" book, The Book of Mormon, with its wisdom wrapped up in a nice little package of inspiration and encouragement. Even if we aren't faced with major trials in our lives, this book can help deal with the daily frustrations of life. She reminds me that I need to pray to have charity for everyone, including my children.


Why, do you ask, do I need to have charity for my children? Well let's just say that I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of quality time with them over the last few weeks. I wish that I would have documented a few of our latest mishaps. It's amazing what an entire bottle of pink nail polish can do to a 2-foot square section of carpet and no, hiding the chocolate cake on the highest shelf of the pantry did not keep Tess from dumping it upside down on the tile floor. It is in these moments that C.S. Lewis writes that we show our true character, "surely what a man does when he is taken off guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is? Surely what pops out before the man has time to put on a disguise is the truth. . ."


I cannot say that I reacted perfectly. Next time I plan on pulling out the camera to document the moment before reading up on the internet about techniques to remove nail polish using trusty old hair spray (it worked beautifully). Live and learn, that's what I say (even if it is a bit cliched)!

5 comments:

Shanel said...

I would have loved to be a mouse in the house! Really, hair spray. You would "Google" it.

Jen and Lance said...

Of coarse the first thing you would do is go to the internet. I love the book "If Life Were Easy It Wouldn't Be Hard" as well. That is one of my favorites of Sherrie Dew.

Shenise said...

I thought you handled to chocolate cake mishap quite well. Being that I was on the phone with you when it happened, you sounded calm. Maybe that was until you hung up! Yes, take a picture next time.

P.S. - The kids are looking so old! It makes me kind of sad that they are growing up!

Lance & Jen said...

Wendy! Thanks for the call and the nice message the other day. I tried to call you back, but I have your wrong number. Anyways, doing good and I actually had a really fun time! I felt like I was missing out when I was home for the last day so that was depressing,but overall a great experience.

Shanel said...

Brovo Wendy, you said that perfectly! Love You, Sherrie