CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

An Homage to Grandma Velma


8 years and 6 piano teachers later and I can barely play "Choose the Right" in the Hymn book. And yet, I have deep regret that I didn't stick to my musical training. It was a little difficult finding time to practise since I lived with a father that didn't allow piano music while he was in the house. He had grown up with a mother that taught lessons and had to endure constant plunking from morning until night. The sound had become like nails on a blackboard to him.
Unfortunately, I lacked the focus to squeeze my practising in between school time and play time. I seem to remember recommitting about 6 times (with every new teacher.) I remained hopeless, even though I always admired my mother's ability to play any number of songs from her extensive collection of showtunes and gospel music. I even remember my fascination with the organ that sat in Grandma's front room (the big one next to the smaller organ and the grand piano).
Grandma Norton had high hopes for me to learn to play the organ. Hopefully, my renewed desire to learn the piano will satisfy her in heaven. I have been practising daily and am amazed at my retention of what I had learned in my childhool. I think I may even purchase some Grade 3 music books!!! Now it is time to live vicariously through my children. Maybe Mitchell, Rylee, or Tess will inherit their Grandma Norton's love of music and her natural musical abilities. We will find out sooner than later since the older kids will be starting piano lessons some time next month.
Now we will just have to see if their father adopts the "not while I am home" rule for practising!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Love the piano! Are you taking lessons with the kids?

Shanel said...

Can I come up and take them too! I wish I had a gorgeous piano in my front room.

Shenise said...

It is beautiful! How many times a week do you have to dust it? Don't let John find out you have one. He's recently been looking on Ebay for a grand piano...? Anyway, hopefully beautiful music will fill your home sooner than later.