CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Food Storage


For Christmas this year, Santa (Sherrie and Reg) brought our family 72-hour kits and a little bit of food storage. It was the greatest gift we could have received since our pantry looked rather bare. At one point we had a significant amount of wheat and pinto beans awaiting "the big one". However, we left it all behind during our last move. (After 30 trips in the mini-van I just couldn't bring myself to haul those heavy boxes from the basement of the Castle Rock house).

The funny thing about it was the 8 jars of Marshmallow Creme that came included. Sherrie said that they were such a good deal she just couldn't pass them up. While organizing the jars in my pantry I just happened to notice that they had a sell by date of March. (I know that I rarely check labels but it was good that I did!) I didn't want any of my marshmallow goodness to go to waste so I immediately started experimenting with recipes using the stuff.

Krispie treats, yummy frosting, hostess cupcake copycats, fluffernutter sandwiches and 8 jars of Marshmallow Creme later and I decided that the best recipe award goes to my sister-in-law Kristin, who suggested good old-fashioned fruit dip. Tess loved dipping her strawberries in the cream cheese and marshmallow concoction. I can't believe that I didn't think of it before.

Please share if you have any better ideas for using up a half-eaten jar of marshmallow fluff!



Picture of my homemade hostess cupcakes. The filling was whipping cream and marshmallow cream and the frosting is ganache. Too rich for Reggie!

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

Wendy, you are too funny! The hostess cupcakes look like the real thing.